On Feb 12, 2016, at 07:04 , Michael de Haan <m...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Ideally, I would like to omit the outlet/programmtically binding steps and
> bind the treeControllers selection in IB to my local variable. So, the
> “clunkiness” was a referral to the outlets and programmatic binding. However,
> I am unable to find a “selection” binding in IB that would make it possible.

I went through the following steps:

1. Added a new view controller scene to a storyboard.

2. Added a tree controller to the scene.

3. Selected the tree controller and displayed the Bindings inspector.

It shows bindings arranged into 4 sections (Availability, Controller Content,
Controller Content Parameters, and Parameters). The first binding in the third
section is Selection Index Paths. Isn’t this what you’re looking for? Or are
you not seeing that?