On Feb 12, 2016, at 14:24 , Michael de Haan <m...@comcast.net> wrote:

> using the “selectionIndexPaths” binding of the TreeController  (from IB) I
> should be able to use that information to trace it back ( with key paths) to
> my model instance

Not unless you’ve provided the necessary key paths, as properties on each
object that needs to be traversed to get to the right place in your data model.

The difference between binding in IB and binding using code (if that’s what
you’ve been doing) is that with code you have a freer choice of binding
targets. To do the equivalent in IB, you might be forced to add some
KVO-compliant properties in order to “find” the correct target object.