> On Feb 12, 2016, at 2:16 PM, Quincey Morris
> <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:
>
> On Feb 12, 2016, at 14:00 , Michael de Haan <m...@comcast.net
> <mailto:m...@comcast.net>> wrote:
>>
>> I could not get from that binding to the actual instance of my model. There
>> does not seem to be an “Array.ObjectAtThisIndexPath" which I think you are
>> alluding to? Ie bind this to a local variable (indexPaths) and derive the
>> instance of the model from this?
>
> I still don’t understand what you’re saying. A binding binds to a *property*
> of an object — limited by IB to the objects that are available in the
> context. In a storyboard scene with a view controller at the top level, this
> property must be a property of the view controller. However, if the view
> controller has properties that lead elsewhere, you can use a key path to
> extend your reach.
>
> For example, if the view controller itself has a “selectedIndexPaths”
> property, you can bind to that. If this property is in a data model instead,
> you’ll need to give the view controller a “model” property, and bind to
> “model.selectedIndexPaths”. And so on. It’s a bit harder in a storyboard than
> a XIB, because you can’t bind directly to the world outside the view
> controller (e.g. the window controller) without going through the view
> controller.
>

>  Do you perhaps mean a private instance variable?

Yes… I do. And, if I understand you correctly, using the “selectionIndexPaths”
binding of the TreeController  (from IB) I should be able to use that
information to trace it back ( with key paths) to my model instance. Let me
play around with that, but I suspect that this  is the way to solve this…
certainly more elegant than I am trying to.