> On Dec 2, 2016, at 2:17 PM, Andreas Falkenhahn <andr...@falkenhahn.com> wrote:
>
> Well, just because apps that use undocumented features aren't rejected from
> the
> app store doesn't make it official for me.

dlopen is hardly undocumented; it’s part of the core BSD Unix library. It’s got
a man page and everything.

Prior to iOS 8, the sandbox that 3rd party iOS apps ran in blocked calls to
dlopen, as well as other attempts to load dynamic libraries from within the app
bundle. That is now no longer the case, so you can use dlopen, dynamic
frameworks, etc.

> Also, there is no "Library" template for iOS in Xcode. Only a Cocoa Touch
> Framework template. This also doesn't look like dlopen() is officially
> supported on iOS.

That’s sort of weird; however, a framework is just a dynamic library packaged
with its headers in a specific bundle format. You can always use a framework
target and then add a script build step to copy the library out of the
framework.

I think the lack of a dylib target may just reflect that plug-ins of the kind
you’re implementing aren’t really very useful on iOS. Since there’s no way to
install extra plugins (downloading executable code is explicitly forbidden),
the set of plugins is effectively fixed, meaning it would be more efficient to
just statically link them all into the app.

—Jens