No, using foreign language words incorrectly is not a surprise. We should
not accuse Mr. Takata of doing anything wrong simply on the basis of
choosing the wrong words.

Translating between English and Japanese is extremely difficult. If you
visit Japan, it will not take very long before you see instances of
misapplied and even profane English words appearing in print or on
clothing. I remember passing one guy in Shibuya, handing out tissues for
advertising purposes, which means he had been hired by someone to present
himself in public. His shirt said something shocking with the F-word, but
I’m sure it raised no eyebrows among the hundreds of people who passed him
on the street that day and couldn’t have cared less what the words on his
shirt might have meant.

If Mr. Takata’s library has something to do with object lifecycles, keeping
and spawning objects, it would be no surprise he’d look in the dictionary
and find words related to the general topic of "doing things with
children”; and since he is not yet fluent, it shouldn’t be a surprise that
some of his word choices would be incorrect and unfortunate.

You are absolutely right that he should have a fluent speaker look at his
code and comment on it. But isn’t that what he asked us to do? Let’s
comment on these problems, but be kind when we do.

Ganbatte kudasai.

--

Charles