> VTDecodedXPCservice takes 147% of the processor cores on one of my boxes.
        That is to be expected if you are playing any video or audio, and is
not new to High Sierra.  There are tons of reports online about it taking alot
of CPU.

I am not hitting these issues and I use APFS on all my partitions.  I don’t
have any third party system mods installed on my machine.  Maybe its not the
file system, but some app you have installed that is effecting the OS?
Wouldn’t be the first time that has happened.

Have any of you filed bug reports about the issues you are seeing, including
but not limited to a sysdiagnose, spindump, Instruments System Trace taken
_while_ the slowness was occurring. If your issue is related to being connected
to an SMB share, you should include info about the server you are connecting to
(e.g. OS on the Server, WiFi or Ethernet, large or small network etc etc)?  If
your issue is I/O bound, then an lsof run taken during the slow I/O session is
also useful.  Without that kind of info there isn’t any way they can possibly
fix it.  Just sayin’…  Maybe reply to this thread with the bug numbers you’ve
filed in case an Apple Engineer sees this thread.

—Rob