Also turn on Zombie Objects and the other diagnostic features in Xcode edit
Scheme -> Diagnostics.

-Owen

> On Aug 26, 2019, at 1:43 PM, Jean-Daniel via Cocoa-dev
> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>
> A better way to investigate such issue is using the memory debugging tools in
> Instrument IMHO.
> That would let you see all stack traces of retain/release calls.
>
>> Le 26 août 2019 à 04:14, Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
>> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> a écrit :
>>
>> In GSAppDelegate.h
>> GSOutlineWindowController *mainWindowController;
>>
>> In GSAppDelegate.mm
>> - (void) showOutlineWindow
>> {
>>    if (mainWindowController == NULL)
>>         mainWindowController = [[GSOutlineWindowController alloc]
>> initWithWindowNibName : @"GSOutlineWindowController"];
>>    [mainWindowController showWindow : self];
>> }
>>
>> We don't do any ref-counting at all.  A search for CFRetain and CFRelease
>> showed zero items.
>>
>> I would say that ARC is certainly way better than the previous manual
>> ref-counting.  That must have been hellish.
>> Fortunately we only started the Carbon->Cocoa port 3 years ago, so we
>> didn't need to retain/release.
>> But we have wasted at least a month, tracking down mysterious object
>> deletions that theoretically should not happen.
>>
>> At this point we pretty much have breakpoints on dealloc() for every
>> class.  That lets us know when something is
>> dying, but gives no clue as to why.  Breakpoints on release() go deep into
>> Apple Assembly code.

>>> deallocated
>>>
>>> That should not be possible. Could you paste the exact line of code that
>>> declares the window-controller reference in the app delegate?
>>>
>>> Have you verified that, at the point when the controller is dealloced, the
>>> reference in the app delegate is still non-nil? (I sometimes find it useful
>>> to set a breakpoint in the dealloc method, in weird cases like this.)
>>>
>>> Do you have any remaining code that messes with ref-counting, I.e. by
>>> using CFRetain/Release on Obj-C objects?
>>>
>>> —Jens
>>>
>>> (And let me chime in that ARC is an excellent feature. Cocoa used to have
>>> ‘true’ garbage collection as an option, but it was rarely used on Mac due
>>> to memory and performance impact, and never implemented on iOS for that
>>> reason. ARC works much better. Swift memory management is based on ARC, so
>>> it’s definitely the way of the future.)

>> This email sent to mail...@xenonium.com

> This email sent to o...@clipboardinc.com

    • Re: ARC Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
  • Re: ARC Jens Alfke via Cocoa-dev
    • Re: ARC Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
      • Re: ARC Gary L. Wade via Cocoa-dev
      • Re: ARC Jens Alfke via Cocoa-dev
        • Re: ARC Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
          • Re: ARC Jean-Daniel via Cocoa-dev
            • Re: ARC Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
            • Re: ARC Owen Hartnett via Cocoa-dev
      • Re: ARC Uli Kusterer via Cocoa-dev
  • Re: ARC Roland King via Cocoa-dev