On Friday, July 25, 2008, at 12:40PM, "Kyle Sluder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 2:19 PM, julius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> What I have seen on the web seemed to indicate that bundles are a really
>> good way of splitting up code development etc.
>> I like keeping code compartamentalised and bundles looked like a good way to
>> do it.
>
>This is not what bundles are intended for.  Bundles are ways of
>program requirements, not the development environment.  From a
>development perspective, when your code gets loaded into your process
>should be orthogonal to your environment.  Nothing prevents you from
>splitting your code into multiple projects that all get compiled into
>one executable in the end, achieving your compartmentalization without
>abusing the dynamic loader.

I don't think this is an abuse of bundles, even though it's may not be that
common anymore.  If you look at
http://www.stone.com/The_Cocoa_Files/Thanks_A_Bundle_.html or the source for
CVL [1], I think you'll find bundles used in this way.

>> But I also have the memory of someone else being advised on this list to
>> keep away from bundles.
>> That plus the hastle of working with what to me looks  like out of date
>> documentation....
>
>You may be right; it's certainly incomplete.  One thing it
>historically hasn't addressed well is the use of macros such as
>@executable_path and @loader_path.  I *still* can't find mention of
>@executable_path in the official documentation, despite its
>criticality for certain functionality.

Really?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Adeveloper.apple.com+%40executable_path&btnG=Search
 turns up a number of relevant things, as does a full-text search of "All Doc
Sets" in Xcode.  "Dynamic Library Design Guidelines" covers both of these (or
at least it mentions them :).

--
Adam

[1] http://www.sente.ch/software/cvl/