On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Jean-Nicolas Jolivet
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> That was going to be my next point....
>
> Assuming it has been fixed in Leopard, it is therefore really an IB Bug as I
> suspected at first??
>
> Anyway, Re-ordering my controls programatically did the trick... however,
> should I assume that it might not work on Tiger since overlapping view's
> behavior is unpredictable in 10.4??

In your situation then yes, you should not do this. Since you want the
smaller view to appear on top of the larger view, you can just make it
a subview of the larger view instead. Alternatively, you can subclass
the larger view and override its drawRect: to draw the label manually.

Note that it is possible to have overlapping views on 10.4. The caveat
quoted else-thread is fairly specific about what doesn't work, and if
you arrange things properly you can work around the problems. I have a
shipping app that's had overlapping views on Tiger for two years with
no problems. But I recommend using just about any alternative you can
find first, especially if you're using standard Apple views. (My
working overlapping views are all custom views.)

The nice thing is that Tiger is a stationary target these days, so if
you get it working on Tiger despite the warnings and rely on the
guaranteed behavior in Leopard, you should be in good shape. In theory
a security update or something of that nature could be released which
breaks your stuff, but that's really unlikely to happen at this point.

Mike