There is a bug that causes "custom views", the blue ones, to reverse the z-order of their subviews when decoded. You can workaround this by re-ordering the subviews in awakeFromNib, or, you can use an instance of NSView instead of "custom view".

To create an instance of NSView instead of "custom view", you can create a window, select the content view in the outline view, copy it, and paste it back into the top level of your document. After copying and pasting it to the top level of your document, you might consider dragging it back to the library for later reuse.

Good Luck -
Jon Hess