On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Michael Ash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Jean-Nicolas Jolivet
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Correct me if I'm wrong though, but I read that it wasn't a problem anymore
>> in 10.5... can anyone confirm that??
>
> Yes, on 10.5 AppKit allows and guarantees the correct behavior of
> overlapping sibling views. I'm not sure where to find the Official
> Word of this, but it's been mentioned on this list by AppKit engineers
> more than once. The old wisdom that this is Not Allowed is no longer
> valid if you're targeting 10.5+.

I believe this guarantee really only applies when using layered back
views. The documentation still currently states the following.

"Note: For performance reasons, Cocoa does not enforce clipping among
sibling views or guarantee correct invalidation and drawing behavior
when sibling views overlap. If you want a view to be drawn in front of
another view, you should make the front view a subview (or descendant)
of the rear view."

I an fairly sure I have seen issues even when compiled against the
10.5 SDK (however it may be a side effect of IB mishandling ordering).
Also IIRC ibtool sill produces warnings about overlapping sub-views
even when you set the xib for 10.5 compatibility.

I believe you should still use nesting (view hierarchy) when you want
to ensure proper ordering.

-Shawn