On Nov 17, 2008, at 9:11 PM, mmalcolm crawford wrote:

One other consideration, particularly in iPhone applications, is where you might have outlets to subviews of a main view that might be released in sime situations -- e.g. a UIViewController whose view is released in didReceiveMemoryWarning. To ensure that you don't prolong the lifetime of objects you got from the nib, you should set (use your accessor methods to) set those variables to nil in the relevant method, e.g.:

@interface MyController : UIViewController {
 UILabel *label;
@property (nonatomic, retain) IBOutlet UILabel *label;

then

- (void)didReceiveMemoryWarning {
   self.label = nil;
   [super didReceiveMemoryWarning];
}

OK, this issue has come up for me very recently. It appears that on iPhoneOS IBOutlets are retained, regardless of the presence of properties. Even worse, in the presence of an assign property the outlet is still retained. Whatever code is retaining the outlets never releases them. So it seems that client code must release all outlets.

The documentation on this is vague, with a lot of 'should's and not clear statements of what really happens. Actually this isn't (only) related to didReceiveMemoryWarning (which I hadn't considered related to this problem until you raised it).

Is this the way that things are supposed to work on iPhone OS?

--
Brian Stern
[EMAIL PROTECTED]