On 17 Dec 2008, at 12:28, Dave wrote:

Thanks a lot, it certainly is a lot easier to use and a lot less flakey, but it still doesn't work. It does not create a folder in "/ Applications" it just installs the raw files there instead. I'm giving up on PackageMaker, it just doesn't work and there doesn't seem to be any support for it.

Seems crazy that you can't do this one simple thing with it, in every other installer I've ever used this would have been a 5 min job, 2 days later using PackageMaker and still nothing. Oh well, such is life.

Dave, After 5 minutes in PackageMaker (having never used it before and not having read any instructions) I was perfectly able to install an app and other files within a Sub-folder of /Applications

This is with PM 3.0.3:

Assuming your folder with app and files is MyApp (and that it isn't already in /Applications):

1. Create a new Package.
2. Drop MyApp into the Contents section of the package
3. In Configuration > Destination enter /Applications/MyApp
4. If you always want to ensure the actual app ends up in that folder and does not update an existing installation elsewhere on the disk:
4a. In Components, turn off the Allow Relocation checkbox
5. Build and Run

That's it

My guess is that for Step 3, you just had /Applications. That's what I had the first time I tried it and everything did indeed get put directly in /Applications.

Hope that helps

Matt Gough