On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Alejandro Rodriguez
<l.mephi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Clark,
>
> The objects in the set are NSObject subclasses that have a NSString readonly
> property (messageId) and are always initialized through initWithMessageId:
> where that value is set and never changed.
>
> The hash and isEqual methods are as follows:
>
> - (NSUInteger)hash{
>        return (messageId == nil) ? [super hash]:[messageId hash];
> }
>
> - (BOOL)isEqual:(id)object{
>        if([self messageId] == nil)return [super isEqual:object];
>        if([object isKindOfClass:[RTMessage class]]){
>                return [[self messageId] isEqualToString:[object messageId]];
>        }
>        if([object isKindOfClass:[NSString class]]){
>                return [[self messageId] isEqualToString:object];
>        }
>        return [super isEqual:object];
> }
>

> This basically allows me to do something like [messageSet member:@"123"] and
> return the object with ID 123 or [memberSet member:messageObject] and have
> the same result.

Your code doesn't account for the possibility that the order of
comparison might happen in the other order (i.e. [@"123" isEqual:
object]). I wouldn't be surprised if NSSet is assuming that equality
is transitive (i.e. [a isEqual: b] == [b isEqual: a]).

> This is the first condition I checked when the problem started presenting
> itself but  since messageId is readonly and retained

Is it "retain" or "copy"? It really should be the latter. If there's
any chance that the object is ever initialized with an NSMutableString
the difference is important.

--
Clark S. Cox III
clarkc...@gmail.com