On Mar 16, 2010, at 2:18 PM, Alejandro Rodriguez wrote:

[ob isEqual:@"hello"]; //returns YES
[@"hello" isEqual:ob]; //returns NO

That may very well be the problem... now... I have no idea on how I will make the second test return YES.

You can't do that in Objective-C, unfortunately. It would require splicing into NSString's implementation of -isEqual: and adding your own test before the existing one. (You could probably do it by messing with the runtime to replace the method, but that would be very nasty.)

This basically allows me to do something like [messageSet member:@"123"] and return the object with ID 123 or [memberSet member:messageObject] and have the same result.

It might be convenient to do that, but there isn't a clean way to implement it. You'll need to think of another way to do what you want to do. One possibility is to use an NSDictionary mapping identifiers to your objects.