Jerry,

I get the idea, but...

On 05/05/2010, at 01:42, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> I have an NSSearchField in a toolbar.  It is a subview of an NSToolbarItem,
> not of an NSView.

You're right. I forgot the fact that you can only have NSToolbarItems (or
subclasses of it) in a NSToolbar. I tried an NSView and it didn't work, as
expected. I am thinking too much about the code from the Button Madness sample.

I tried using NSToolbar's -insertItemWithItemIdentifier:atIndex to put the
NSToolbarItemGroup in the toolbar, but it does't work either.

I have a NSSearchField too, and it was a piece of cake to get working.

> And again, unless you need to be popping things in and out of views, it's
> generally easier to instantiate controls in your xib (Interface Builder)
> instead of in code.

Yes, I could do it in IB, if only I knew how to put the labels below each
segment, which is my ultimate goal here.

The best I can do in IB is to set the label for the whole NSSegmentedControl --
with spaces, like "Reply  Reply All Forward" -- and adjust the widths so it
aligns correctly. It doesn't look bad, but doesn't seem right, though.

If there's a way to do it from IB, I'll post a question in xcode-users, which
seems more appropriate for IDE-related questions. I still think I have to do it
in code, because I tried every single option in IB and didn't get it to work.

Cheers,