I've tried doing this myself. I don't think it can be done. at least not the
way we want to do it.

If you look in the Preview.app package, you can find all of the images that it
uses in the contents/resources folder. Notice that it has buttonLeft.tiff,
ButtonLeftAquar.tif, buttonLeftDark.tif, etc. similarly with center and right.
If you look at any cocoa program YOU'VE written, it doesn't have separate tiff
files for parts of buttons. This tells me that the way that preview does this
is to manually create 3 images and treat them as buttons by swapping tiffs
around manually.

In other words, Preview CHEATS! or perhaps it doesn't cheat, it does it the
hard way, and there's no way to cheat, depending on how you look at it...

At that point I gave up... if you have more luck, I'd be really interested to
hear about it...

Brian Postow
Senior Software Engineer
Acordex Imaging Systems