I'm having trouble getting text to appear properly in an NSTextView which is
binded to an NSData attribute in core data.  I've been all over the internet
but I'm still stumped.

The original text looks like this:
There is a period at the end of this sentence.
You should have also just seen a line return and here • is a option-8 bullet
character.

This text is saved in an XML file that starts with <?xml version="1.0"
encoding="UTF-8"?>

My goal is to write code to read this XML file and create an NSData object for
the text.  This is what I've written:
NSString *s = [childNode stringValue];  //assume this child is the correct text
NSData *noteData = [s dataUsingEncoding:NSUnicodeStringEncoding
allowLossyConversion:YES];  // I also tried NSUTF8StringEncoding

This results in the following appearing in my NSTextView
There is a period at the end of this sentence=2E=0DYou should have also jus= t
seen a line return and here =E2=80=A2 is a option-8 bullet character= =2E

I'd like to do the correct encoding but there's something wrong and I don't
want to resort to the find and replace method. (i.e. find =2E and replace with
".")

The actual text in the XML file is:
<Note>There is a period at the end of this sentence=2E=0DYou should have also
jus=
t seen a line return and here =E2=80=A2 is a option-8 bullet character=
=2E</Note>

(why there's an = between the "s" and "t" in the word "just" is confusing).

Can anyone help?

Thank you