On Jul 15, 2010, at 4:03 PM, Brad Stone wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting text to appear properly in an NSTextView which is
> binded to an NSData attribute in core data.  I've been all over the internet
> but I'm still stumped.
>
> The original text looks like this:
> There is a period at the end of this sentence.
> You should have also just seen a line return and here • is a option-8 bullet
> character.
>
> This text is saved in an XML file that starts with <?xml version="1.0"
> encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> My goal is to write code to read this XML file and create an NSData object
> for the text.  This is what I've written:
> NSString *s = [childNode stringValue];  //assume this child is the correct
> text
> NSData *noteData = [s dataUsingEncoding:NSUnicodeStringEncoding
> allowLossyConversion:YES];  // I also tried NSUTF8StringEncoding
>
> This results in the following appearing in my NSTextView
> There is a period at the end of this sentence=2E=0DYou should have also jus=
> t seen a line return and here =E2=80=A2 is a option-8 bullet character= =2E
>

> I'd like to do the correct encoding but there's something wrong and I don't
> want to resort to the find and replace method. (i.e. find =2E and replace
> with ".")
>
> The actual text in the XML file is:
> <Note>There is a period at the end of this sentence=2E=0DYou should have also
> jus=
> t seen a line return and here =E2=80=A2 is a option-8 bullet character=
> =2E</Note>
>
> (why there's an = between the "s" and "t" in the word "just" is confusing).
>
> Can anyone help?

Looks like you need to translate the text in the XML file using a MIME
quoted-printable decoder, and then run the results through a UTF-8 decoder.
Quoted-printable sequences start with a = and the next two characters indicate
the hex value of the character. For example, 0xe280a2 is the bullet character
(U+2022) in UTF-8. See RFC 2045 for more details.

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>