On Aug 15, 2011, at 3:53 PM, Sean McBride wrote:

> But what about bindings?  If a custom view exposes additional bindings, how
> can one connect them in IB?  As best as I can tell, you can't.  I'd love to
> be corrected!

You can’t. It’s particularly annoying because I had just finished spiffing up a
few of my custom objects to support bindings and setting up an IB plugin so
that I could get my project all shiny and modern and without the view code in
my controller, right before Xcode 4 hit. Now I’m going to have to rewrite a
bunch of that code *back* to the crusty old way, unless I can just get away
with never changing that nib file.

I do hold out a tiny bit of hope that this might all be related to Xcode’s
ill-fated adoption of garbage collection. The old IB plugins didn’t support GC,
so they wouldn’t be compatible with Xcode 4, whereas defining a new plugin
format wouldn’t make much sense at this time, since a port of Xcode to ARC is
probably imminent, and that would probably break any plugins *again*.
Hopefully, once Xcode stops being a moving target runtime-wise, it will be able
to get a plugin format again.