Let's say I have an NSImage that contains some representation other than an NSBitmapImageRep, and I want to play with the pixel values. My plan was like this:

Create a NSBitmapImageRep of the same size as my source image.
Make a new NSImage and add my new representation to it.
Lock focus on the new image.
Draw the source image.
Unlock focus on the new image.
Access the pixels of the bitmap representation.

However, the part about locking focus, drawing, and unlocking focus changes my NSImage so that its representation is no longer of class NSBitmapImageRep. Gaah. Must I drop down to the Core Graphics level to do what I want?
--
  James W. Walker, Innoventive Software LLC
  <http://www.frameforge3d.com/>