On 3/3/12 5:48 PM, Jens Alfke wrote:
> Look up the hostname. No ping required.

As I mentioned in the reply I just posted, even looking up the hostname
is potentially problematic.  One obvious case that I overlooked in my
response: mandatory hostname lookup will cripple your functionality if
you don't have an active network connection.

As for ping, not only does the OP not need it, they shouldn't even think
about using it.  A *huge* number of sites block ICMP echo requests.  For
example, cnn.com (employing the OP's example) doesn't respond to ping!

This then quickly leads us down the reachability/two generals rabbit
hole that this list seems doomed to repeat every six months or so.

> Honestly, use Data Detectors.

Ditto, of course.

--
Conrad Shultz