On May 28, 2012, at 8:49 PM, Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:

> The current implementation of sandboxing is extremely clunky,

True.

> full of holes,

Not so much. If anything it leans towards over-restrictiveness rather than
errant permissiveness.

> and solves no real problems.

False. It solves the problem of applications being unable to express their
intended boundaries to the operating system. Without that information the OS
can't help protect the user from malicious content or add-ons that will attempt
to exploit the host app's lack of boundaries.

> If it were revoked tomorrow, I can't believe anybody here would mourn it -
> honestly?

This current implementation? Probably not. A better implementation? Definitely.

Security is one of those features you only care about when you notice it's
missing. In the case of security, you usually notice when US-CERT sends out an
advisory.

--Kyle Sluder