On May 29, 2012, at 9:30 PM, Quincey Morris wrote:

> A number of commentators have jumped into the thread to declare, in effect,
> that the sandboxing could *never* work. Such a point of view seems
> inexplicably to ignore the fact that there is a platform out there already
> (iOS) for which sandboxing is demonstrably viable -- technically,
> economically, and functionally. My response to such commentators is, of
> course: WTF?

The problem is, OS X is a much more sophisticated platform than iOS. I'm not
saying that sandboxing could never work; it works just fine in applications
with simple needs, but more sophisticated apps often can't run in the sandbox.
I know at least one of our products cannot be sandboxed, because it won't work
without the ability to post HID events, something that Apple refuses to allow
in sandboxed apps. For that reason, remote desktop servers also cannot run in
the sandbox. Apps that rely on NSWorkspace for much of their functionality also
can't run in the sandbox. And the list goes on...

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>