The thing that puzzles me is the difference in the behavior if you use an IB
file with the an NSButton as ToolbarItemView. As I said, then everything works
as expected - the button changes sized to small or regular control size. Does
IB create a custom NSToolbarItem that somehow takes care of the correct
resizing?

The Documentation state that most calls to NSToolbarItem regarding the view get
forwarded to the view. In the case with the NSPopupButton the call gets even
sent to the button's cell, but I do not get why it's not working with NSButton.

--Michael

On 25.02.2013, at 00:05, Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:

> Perhaps I'm not understanding your post, but
>
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013, at 02:53 PM, Keary Suska wrote:
>> On Feb 24, 2013, at 1:11 PM, Michael Starke wrote:
>> I suspect the issue is that NSButton does not have built-in semantics for
>> control size.
>
> NSButton does indeed have built-in semantics for controlSize.
>
>> In fact, none of the cells in question are documented to
>> respond to -setControlSize is the way you are seeing, but apparently some
>> do.
>
> All NSCell instances respond to -setControlSize:.
>
>> If you consider that a button of any control size can actually be of
>> any size, how would the cell know how to resize itself, other than to
>> just change its font? And if it has an image, how would that work?
>
> As per the documentation, setting the controlSize of a cell does not
> change its font. After the cell gets -setControlSize:, someone is
> responsible for calling -sizeToFit: on the view containing that cell.
>
> --Kyle Sluder

___m i c h a e l   s t a r k e____
       geschäftsführer
       HicknHack Software GmbH
       www.hicknhack-software.com

___k o n t a k t____
       +49 (170) 3686136
       cont...@hicknhack.com

___H i c k n H a c k   S o f t w a r e   G m b H____
       geschäftsführer - maik lathan | andreas reischuck | michael starke
       bayreuther straße 32
       01187 dresden
       amtsgericht dresden HRB 30351
       sitz - dresden