On Feb 24, 2013, at 1:11 PM, Michael Starke wrote:

> I'm trying to use a toolbar with NSButtons as the views for the toolbar
> items. I'm creating the views programmatically and ran into the following
> problem.
>
> I add a NSSearchField a NSPopupButton and some NSButtons to the bar by
> creating a NSToolbarItem and using setView: on them with the appropriate
> controls (search field, popup and normal buttons)
>
> If I add these and check "use small size" the NSButtons do not get scaled
> down. The search field and the popup button though both do scale up/down
> correctly. The funny thing is, if I add a NSButton with IB as a custom
> NSToolbarItem it get's scaled down.
>
> I read that NSToolbarItem uses "setControlSize" to scale the view. So I tried
> to observe the cell for the keyPath "controlSize" and get notified just for
> the NSSearchField and the NSPopupButton but the NSButton seems to not get the
> call.
>
> Do I have to take special care with the buttons? Or did something else break
> the scaling?
>
> The initializations for the button item is as follows:
>
> NSToolBarItem *item = [[NSToolbarItem alloc]
> initWithItemIdentifier:itemIdentifier];
> NSButton *button = [[NSButton alloc] initWithFrame:NSMakeRect(0, 0, 32, 32)];
> [button setButtonType:NSMomentaryPushInButton];
> [button setTitle:itemIdentifier];
> [[button cell] setControlSize:NSSmallControlSize];
> [[button cell] setBezelStyle:NSTexturedRoundedBezelStyle];
> [button sizeToFit];
> [item setView:button];
> [button release];

I suspect the issue is that NSButton does not have built-in semantics for
control size. In fact, none of the cells in question are documented to respond
to -setControlSize is the way you are seeing, but apparently some do. If you
consider that a button of any control size can actually be of any size, how
would the cell know how to resize itself, other than to just change its font?
And if it has an image, how would that work?

Because you can't guarantee KVO compliance for any API object that doesn't
explicitly state so the only way to reliably know what is happening is to use
your own NSButtonCell subclass (better than a symbolic breakpoint). You might
actually find that you will need to handle resizing yourself anyway so your
work won't go to waste.

If setControlSize is really not being called on the cell, then it is probably
being handled like any regular view, and then you will probably need to specify
the min/max sizes.

HTH,

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.