Well then. After experimenting with different cells and buttons, I came up with
the following findings:

If one uses a NSPopupButton in a NSToolBarItem the internal call
(_handleSendControlSize:toCellOfView:) dispatches a setControlSize to the cell
of the NSPopupButton. On the other hand, if one uses a NSButton, the
NSButtonCell does not get the setControl call.

Weirdly, if I change the Cell of a NSButton to a NSPopupButtonCell, it gets
called with setControlSize: and resizes accordingly

The solution to my problem was that NSToolBarItem seems to decide based on the
cell class, whether to forward the call to the cell or just the containing view.

I then subclassed NSButton and added a setControlSIze that just forwards
everything to the NSButtonCell and everything is fancy as the NSToolbarItem
calls _handleSendControlSize:toView: with get's to my NSButton subclass.
Problem solved. I do however not know, why in IB the NSButton does get resized.
A neater solution would have been to persuade NSToolBarItem to just call the
cell of a NSButton as it does with the NSPopupButton

--Michael