On Jan 27, 2015, at 17:21 , Jerry Krinock <je...@ieee.org> wrote:

> Compiler does *not* warn if you have a custom primitive setter without a
> getter.

FWIW, the compiler doesn’t warn you if you have any setter without a getter.

> I also tried to get it to compile without declaring the instance variable
> that I access in the custom accessors, by just declaring the property, but
> that did not work.  To compile, I was required to declare the instance
> variable in the @interface{…}.

I think it’s just that you’re expecting it to be special, but it isn’t. If you
want this custom primitive getter:

- (…) primitiveX {…}

and you want the synthesized instance variable, you’d need to declare the
property:

@property … primitiveX;

and the ivar’s name would be ‘_primitiveX’, not ‘x’ as you tried earlier. Core
Data isn’t on the compiler’s radar.