> The fact is that JSP continues to gather momentum and the era of XML-XSLT
has all but been forgotten. To what do you attribute this?
> XML and XSLT and by extension cocoon has a very narrow window to get some
serious press to make itself live. This window is passing by.

Funny that, I am kind booked out for most of the year with projects that
need XSLT written for their applications. One of them is cleaning up the
mess of having HTML and Java code in JSP nicely mixed up together. I don't
write a line of Java myself but I have observed is that writting "clean"
webapplications takes a fair bit of discipline that many developers don't
have, or it is usually simply too hard for them; "this how I always do it".

> If you ask me, the cocoon development effort should refocus itself from
developing more features to getting the product in a state
> such as tomcat is in. A state where people say "cocoon? Oh that's easy to
use. getting hello-world to work is like a 10 minute
> affair. You only need to worry about all the fancy features if you need to
use them, give it a shot."

OK the Cocoon doco needs work and the amount of features well out number the
amount of doco pages. But you can still get Hello World up in 10 minutes.
Most of the installation problems appear to be typical for all sorts of Java
applications: wrong, missing or conflicting jar files in various places..

Perry Molendijk