Robert,

> I want all
> the framework configs out of my way. I want all of
> the options and jars and so on neatly tucked away
> and where I can just drop them
> in a directory and forget about them.

You can do one of two things with the jars.

1)The Cocoon war by default has all of them stored in
a certain lib directory.  When you unpack the war in
Tomcat on startup the path would be as follows
(assuming the war is in the $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps
directory on startup):
$TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/lib.  This way all
the jars are available to the servlet container that
is running the cocoon app and localized to this
directory.

2)You could move all these jars to $TOMCAT_HOME/lib or
if you are running a newer version of Tomcat
(e.g.4.1.12) then it would be $TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib.
 If you put the jars here they will be available to
all webapps running in Tomcat and be localized.
Unlike the first option, this allows a more "public"
feel to your jars (the first is more like a
"protected" feel to the jars).

NOTE:All that was Tomcat specific deployment info, not
Cocoon.  So the Cocoon developers have used the first
option to allow these jars to be localized and clean.

The jars can also be found at:
xml-cocoon/build/cocoon/webapp/WEB-INF/lib

> Now Id like to have a war that is THAT small and
> without having to have an intimate knowledge of
> cocoon to accomplish it.

You would have to build Cocoon from the CVS source
code and modify the Ant build script to stop the
packaging of jars in the cocoon war.  This requires a
minimal knowledge of Ant.

> -->--> web.xml  (NOT a 40 meg file)

Finally, the web.xml that comes with Cocoon in only a
few Ks.  So it should never be more, unless you have
added A LOT of servlet mappings, but that must be
proprietary.

Hope this helps,
Julian

=====
Live simply so others may simply live.

-Ghandi

Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate.
"Entities should not be multiplied unneccesarily"

-William of Occam

http://mailplus.yahoo.com