On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 03:55:28PM -0400, Tara Duvivier wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am having troubles in completing my installation of irc on my
> sun machine. When I try and run the daemon, I get the following error.
>
> ERROR: do not run ircd setuid root. Make it setuid a normal user.
>
> What does this mean, and how can I resolve this issue?

        It means that it doesn't like being run as root.

        You can resolve this issue by running it as a normal user
instead.  Many people create an `irc' or `ircd' user for this
purpose.

        Running things as root that don't need to be run with root
privileges creates a larger potential security problem if they are
compromised; current best practice is to avoid running anything as
root if possible.

        --msa