Ircu12.10.11.03 has MAXBANS 40 by default

Math
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

- -----Message d'origine-----
De : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:owner-coder-com@;undernet.org] De la part de Christopher Robin
Wilding
Envoyé : 23 octobre, 2002 17:10
À : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Objet : [Coder-Com]

At 14:03 2002-10-23 -0400, Kev wrote:
>Undernet's AUP prohibits spamming, so you can email logs to
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]  It'll likely result in suspension of his
>account, and hopefully also a complaint from abuse@ to the user's
>ISP.  This is clearly not as good as letting the user do this
>himself, but it's a trade-off we've made to add some privacy for our
>users.

  I know this isn't entirely the realm of coder-com, but it would be
*really* nice for something to this effect to be summarized somewhere
on the undernet.org website, so that Joe-luser knows this too.

 Quite a few users I know see the new host hiding option as a loss of
accountability, since no detailed information demarcating what
[EMAIL PROTECTED] can/will and can't/won't do.

  In my situation, as one of the ops in #usa (which tends to have
200-350 users during any part of the day), the host-hiding option
further stresses what I consider to be a far too small banlist size
even further; just the simple addition of this 'v-host on the cheap'
means more bans added to our pending list of bans, and more bans set
in such a channel.

  I know I'm calling someone's baby ugly, but this feature didn't
have the logistical/social side of the equation as well thought out
before it was enacted.

  My fear is that cservice fakers that -still- pop into channels to
play social engineering tricks (/msg <nick> your cservice user/pass
to 'save' it) will use the compiled list of accounts, coupled with
modified proxy/clone flooding scripts to make a chan-ops duties all
the more cumbersome.

  Being that it wouldn't be all that hard for some kiddie to accrue
31+
cservice accounts that first spate of 31+ unique
<stolenacct>.users.undernet.org clone floods will mean channels will
start enacting bans on *!*@*.users.undernet.org

  After all, once there's more than 30 bans, the source addresses for
the flood aren't kept at bay with just 30 individual bans.  I really
would hate to see the host-hiding feature's positive benefits of user
privacy, and individual accountability ruined by such a turn.

  So, rather than being entirely negative about the feature, I will
suggest a few things that can improve/avert rough spots:

  A more permanent page on the undernet.org site, and/or links on the
MOTDs would help diseminate the information about the feature, along
with a page that details, for abusive users on *.users.undernet.org,
what information is needed to be emailed off to [EMAIL PROTECTED] .

  The Channel ban list size needs an increase, in some way -- the
simple solution would be to simply increase the list size allowed up
from 30 (easy for coders, it's a config change, but a pain for admins
- - it's a server reboot).

  I'd like to discuss a few other alternatives I have in mind becuase
believe strongly that a change IS needed for the better.

  But before I do, it'd be best to get input from the coders and/or
admins that have profiled servers recently to see what the current
situation is, and how proposed banlist changes would affect things,
pro and con. There's not much sense in proposing fanciful ideas that
either tax ram, and/or bandwidth, and/or cpu excessively over the
current state, unless there's a genuine improvement.

Congradulations, you've just made it through another wordy tirade of:
  Christopher Robin / ChrstphrR

P.S. In case there's no formal user-com liason in coder-com, I cc:'d
this onto user-com@ to mull over as well.