> I was thinking about this, and I came up with an idea as to host-hiding.
> With the current system, there is always a chance to get the user's host
> by using a NOTIFY event (mIRC and similar clients) to send a WHOIS
> <user> upon connection. Even if the client logs in by default on connect
> (not always the best idea), because of services<->user lag, it is still
> possible to obtain the real host.

Well, just so you know, it's in process.

> On to my idea. Instead of logging into services via a PRIVMSG command to
> X, what about making the account login as an optional part of the
> connection proccess. Logins would work something like this.
>
>   /server mesa.az.us.undernet.org <port> [[optional server
> password]:[<account name>:<password>]]

We can't change the way clients work.  In general, we have to work with
what the clients already have in place.  As a result, the mechanism that
will probably get used is one where we use the existing "PASS" command,
passing a password of the form "accountpass@accountname".  This of course
has the disadvantage of making password-based I-lines more difficult to
deal with, but it uses a mechanism that every client out there can deal
with.
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>