On Sun, 2007-05-27 at 18:57 +0200, Tom Laermans wrote:
> > Again, most clients directly support /connect
> > without need for /quote...
>
> Most clients will probably connect to the argument passed themselves
> instead of passing it on to the server ;-)

I find that unlikely.  CONNECT is in RFC1459 and is a standard oper
command supported by virtually every IRC daemon out there.  If the
client does not support it as /connect--as the traditional UNIX
implementations such as ircII and EPIC do--it will have some other
command...but all the documentation out there will say, "Do /connect."
It's not unlikely that this would be the case for the later
implementations such as mIRC, given that most if not all have carried on
the tradition of prefixing commands with the '/' character, which came
from ircII, and probably from MUD clients prior to that.

But, in any case, the question is academic.  If your client doesn't
directly support /connect, or gives it some different semantics, then
there will be a / command that will issue the IRC protocol-level CONNECT
message, or a script that will add that functionality, and you should
make use of that mechanism instead.
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>