Unless someone presents more compelling arguments in favor of the
idea, I do not expect to add SSL support to ircu.

On the networking side of things, it does little to protect users from
the kind of surveillance you describe: If an adversary is recording
metadata, they will get substantively the same data whether the
content is encrypted or not.  If an adversary is recording all
traffic, they can probably find some plaintext stream of the same
content from elsewhere in the IRC network -- unless you planned to
force all clients to use SSL.

On the server capacity side, SSL will also consume a lot of memory for
a large network -- each SSL context is much larger than the current
per-client budget.  That also means an increase in CPU cache
thrashing, which means a disproportionate increase in CPU utilization.
 Because ircu is single-threaded, CPU utilization can still be an
issue, especially during a net burst.  (You're going to encrypt your
server-to-server links too, right?  Hopefully using certificates that
were distributed out-of-band?)

On the administrative side of things, us maintainers would have
additional legal obligations to comply with (regarding the export of
cryptographic software, even if it is open source that only calls open
source libraries to perform the actual cryptographic operations) and
it would make ircu illegal in some places.

I would suggest using IPsec as an alternative scheme to protect
network traffic from eavesdropping, whether it is IRC or any other
protocol, or SSL proxy software on the IRC server combined with iauth
to "spoof" the true host names back onto a tunneled client.

Entrope