On 2/3/02 4:21 PM, "Paulo Gaspar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Amazing work on HYPOTHETICAL situations.

Well, it's a valid question given the governance model we are proposing.

> To simplify again, I do not agree with the negation of that statement
> either. Maybe the most balanced situation is the one we already have
> ...until it is proved to be bad.
>
> Still learning here.
>
> I am only sure that I am not so sure that the rules of the game
> should change.
> =;o)

Except we keep ignoring that we *did* change the rules if you grant me the
model of Commons as a 'mini-Jakarta' :

- where the components map to the projects.
- and the original 'three person committee' (that we never needed) was the
PMC
- the committer community is the individual component committers as a group

If we kept the same model, we would have Commons as a 'organizing place'
where we can bring bits of existing code and productize them, bring in new
bits of code that we need, provide the sandbox for exploration and
experimentation, and build a community of people interested in these kinds
of things.

However, in each case (except the sandbox), a component would have a defined
set of committers that would be responsible for the direction and status of
their component, and keep adding new committers and contributions and
interest dictated.

In our case, we did alter the model.  It's sounds great - one for all and
all for one - but I don't see that working out in practice.  I am *not*
suggesting it is a failure - we are still small enough that it has worked
out well so far, but peter showed us one problem, and I expect that w/o
addressing it, we are going to have to deal with it and like issues more and
more often.

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting