On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> > Why ? The lifecycle is not our problem - the interface just defines who a
> > component can be configured/managed from logging perspective.
> >
> > I agree the concept is a bit broken, as a component could use multiple
> > log channels - and the interface doesn't support that.
> >
> > Geir ?
>

> When you say multiple log channels, what do you mean?

A component can log in multiple places and different informations.

For example in tomcat it can log to access.log, error.log and possibly
other logs.

And it may use different loggers for different kinds of information - so
you can fine tune the debugging ( use a different logger for different
areas of the code that you want to debug / tune independently )

For most components one logger is enough, but that's not allways the case.

All the channels and properties are managed by the logger
implementation, and commons-logging explicitely doesn't cover that.
Thre is already an API for management, and each logger impl has a specific
way to configure.

Costin