On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Richard Sitze wrote:

> Perhaps what we need is pointers (in both components) to the logger
> supporting the "other" philosophy:
>
> If you want "pull", use commons logging.
> If you want "push" and IoC, use the Avalon LogKit.
>
> And again, DON'T propose trying to merge the two, their goals are
> orthogonal.

If you want 'push', use JMX and standard Bean setters.
If you want 'pull', use JNDI or other naming-based accessors (
commons-logging getLog is a wrapper around the name-based system used by
most loggers ).

You can and should mix them - for things you want manageable ( or
configurable by the caller/framework ) you must use push, and for things
that you get from environment you use pull.

You can use both in the same component - use pull for the initial value
and setter to change it ( or pull and a listener ).

If you want security, use sandbox and class loaders - it's the only way to
protect you. Combined with a review of all the public interfaces that are
exposed.

Costin