My problem is one of keeping the design clean. My view of Excalibur is
that it sits in a domain higher than commons. I see Excalibur as being
at an architcture level, and I see commons as being more at a foundation
level. I hesitate to have a commons package "reach" up into a higher
domain.

Having said that, I suspect there are packages in Excalibur that really
ought to be at a foundation level, and there are packages in commons
that ought to be at an architecture level. Perhaps pool should
eventually be migrated to Excalibur. Perhaps better organization of
Jakarta projects along domain lines would be appropriate. And perhaps I
need to decide if a pooling package is really foundational (as I would
label one in commons) or architectural (as I would label one in
Excalibur) and have my application architecture based on the most
appropriate domain. Perhaps the current reorg of Excalibur will make it
easier for me to do this.

However, for the present, I would like to make the pooler I'm better by
adding statistics gathering. And for the present, the most expedient way
I see to do that is the implementation I proposed.

Steven Caswell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
a.k.a Mungo Knotwise of Michel Delving