I plan to do this

> - Note any flaws, learn from mistakes made in that code

And this also

> - Implement what you proposed below and try to make it better
> than Excalibur impl.

Not sure I'm interested in trying to outdo the Excalibur impl. My main
desire is to have this functionality in commons pool. If it is better
than something else, fine. But that would not be a primary goal. I'd
rather hear from the commons pool community as to whether my proposal is
+1, and if not, what I can do to make it better from the community
standpoint.