It's correct that we did not monitor commits as
closely as we should.  Roy raised our awareness or
this, and that's good.  However I don't think we need
a small group to check every single commit to every
component.  We all should be and will be more vigilant
now.

And yes, erroneous.  Roy accused us of hosting
plagarized code and knowingly ignoring its origin.  He
was mistaken, and he admitted it.  Let's not go ape
because some of our license files need updating.

- Morgan

--- robert burrell donkin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 06:51 PM, Morgan
> Delagrange wrote:
>
> > I'm -0 on the proposal in general.  I think it's a
> bit
> > of overkill to address some minor license
> concerns.
> > Most likely, these minor issues would have never
> been
> > brought up; they were an ex post facto
> justification
> > of a serious and completely erroneous accusation
> > leveled on the reorg list.  We're aware of the
> > problem, and I don't think we need to make a small
> > subset of our committers comb through the code.
> > However, if you want it, go for it!
>
> erroneous? though we weren't caught out this time,
> the charge that no one
> monitors commits is valid. this was proved by the
> fact that we had to go
> running round checking code. and roy is right that
> this charge is serious.
>   this is a wake-up call that gives us the chance to
> put our own house in
> order.
>
> any committer in the sandbox could commit files that
> expose apache members
> to legal liability - and no one here would be the
> wiser until that writ
> hits the fan (pun intended).
>
> i only really look at code and commit messages for
> components that i'm
> actively involved in. this is irresponsible. but
> monitoring all the commit
> traffic and all the code would seriously effect my
> ability to create new
> code.
>
> - robert
>

> --