On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> make beanutils dependent on lang
> --------------------------------

I'm +1. BeanUtils has a higher level than Lang, so it makes sense to have
BeanUtils dependent on Lang. The issue we hit is one of dependencies is
something that Jakarta [or Apache] Commons _has_ to solve. Many components
should be dependent on Lang/Collections/IO/etc. It's the whole point of
them. However, how do we distribute these without causing enourmous pain.

> i'm willing to make these changes. i am also willing to help to maintain
> and improve the code in lang if the lang team are happy to have me as a
> committer.

Get's my +1 :)

> since this change will mean quite a bit of work and will introduce a new
> dependency for beanutils, i'd rather not rely on lazy consensus. obviously
> i'm +1.

Ideas for how to handle dependencies better at Jakarta Commons would be
good. String Taglib is dependent on Lang and the number one problem users
have is not having commons-lang in their classpath.

Hen