On Sunday 27 October 2002 02:58 pm, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Sunday, October 27, 2002, at 07:19 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
> > On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> since this change will mean quite a bit of work and will introduce a new
> >> dependency for beanutils, i'd rather not rely on lazy consensus.
> >> obviously
> >> i'm +1.
> >
> > Ideas for how to handle dependencies better at Jakarta Commons would be
> > good. String Taglib is dependent on Lang and the number one problem users
> > have is not having commons-lang in their classpath.
>
> i agree with craig (but then, i find that i usually do).
>
> it's important to have our releases available independently but that's no
> reason not to also offer in addition jar's containing all dependencies.
>
> so, i'd like to be able to offer a jar containing the latest versions of
> all the commons goodies (but i've never been able to get the combo project
> to run).
>
> i also think that the String Taglib should consider offering a
> ready-to-run release which contained the commons-lang classes as well as
> an minimal release containing just the taglib code.

That's a bad idea. If String Taglib includes unrelated code, then, later, when
you try to include commons-lang in the project, you get random behavior. I
had this problem with an Oracle library at one point. Took forever to figure
out what was going on. And even if it's documented, noone will remember a few
months later, when it comes up.