Michael Davey wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> I'm +1 for System.err too. Should this be institutionalised across Lang?
>
> There has been discussion before about a 'Core' component with the bare
> minimum from various commons components and upon which (nearly) every
> commons component would depend.
>
> Could the Log interface, LogFactory, SimpleLog and NoOpLog classes be
> moved to 'Core' leaving the rest in Logging (thus making Logging an
> extension to Core's
> logging functionality)?  The only obvious Core candidates from Lang (for
> me) are Nestable*.

I don't see any reason for [logging] to depend on [lang], so
it is perfectly fine if lang uses logging.

It is possible that some drivers will use [lang] - for example
to use Nestable to provide this feature for log4j - but that
shouldn't be part of commons-logging, but part of a special
commons-logging-log4j.jar.

In general I think it was a bad idea to mix the drivers in
the same interface with the API ( I'm waiting the "I told you so" :-).
I think the ant pattern ( ant-foo.jar for the drivers that are dependent
of "foo" ) is a very good one.

Costin