> This attitude is not very helpful.  I don't see how dbcp supplying the
> ability to configure a connection pool to reclaim connections is that
> big of an issue.

Have you tried to solve problems this way ? Is it tested solution and can be
used for "high quality software" ?
Try to implement and test anti patterns at home first.

  It adds code complexity, but if the implementation is
> modified so that it is not central to the rest of the code and the
> critical bug entered against the current implementation is solved, we
> should allow it as part of the release.
>
> I was for the removal of this code, assuming the contributor had
> abandoned it and it had bugs no one else wanted to fix.  But it is a
> perfectly valid feature and the original developer is stating he is
> willing to rewrite it.
>
> Is it not possible for many databases to configure an idle timeout?  I'm
> pretty sure this kind of ability is to handle the same sort of badly
> written client code.  Does mysql get blamed if a poorly written
> application loses a connection because it leaked it and did not close
> it, but mysql reclaims it.

It is not a feature too, It breaks transactions, I do not believe it
supports "autoreconnect"
if transactions are enabled.

How about if the db admin sets the timeout