On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Rodney Waldhoff wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Henri Yandell wrote:
> >
> > > Forcing a user of three api's to grab
> > > dependencies for 12 other api's is going to kill combo dead in the water.
> >
> > An observation: a user of 3 APIs doesn't need to grab any external
> > dependencies outside of those three APIs. If you never load or use the
> > dependent classes, you never need to load their dependencies.
>
> It's very hard to know though.

Not hard at all.  Look for "NoClassDefFound".

> I look at the dependency list and it says
> it needs 5 jars.

What dependency list?  The compile-time ant and/or maven descriptors?  We
don't have a formal or even conventional run-time dependency indication
AFAIK, although maybe this suggests we need one.

> We don't publish a 'you need this jar for this, this jar
> for this' list. Also, who wants to trust that?

Actually I believe in several places we do (e.g,.
<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/userguide.html>,
<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/sslguide.html>).  The
STATUS files used to hold this information, probably many of
them have not been maintained.

> Only power users will be able to deal with this easily, and they have no
> need for a combo jar.

> Automating a build of this gets difficult I believe, plus you'd have to
> not run certain tests. It feels like a rather manual solution.

Both maven and gump seem to automate this rather well.

- Rod <http://radio.weblogs.com/0122027/>