Phil Steitz wrote:
What exactly does Jira have to do with release management and site publishing? I am asking out of ignorance here. I thought Jira was an issue tracker.

It *is* an issue tracker, so what it does very cleanly is associate bug fixes with releases and provide a generated roadmap and changelog (roadmap = issues resolved in upcoming versions, changelog = issues resolved in released versions). It does not address site publishing.

You can checkout a few ASF projects that were using JIRA at codehaus already to get a feel for it (http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/). I can't imagine JIRA would ever be made the only bug tracker available to ASF projects. It's a tool to use if you want to help manage your project.

--
Serge Knystautas
President