I see..  I thought doing this would solve the problem:
<item name="Commons" href="commons.html" collapse="true">

But it just makes a collapsed menu option, you can't uncollapse it, I guess
because of the way we import the shared xml file.  The locally created
"commons.html" doesn't know/isn't generated with the collapse being false.
I assume because of crossing project boundaries?

Something that might work well at least in the short term is to ditch all
the items under each menu item, and instead have the menu just link to a
page on the main  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/ site.  That would
reduce it down to 8 hotlinks, and not require every subproject to have lots
of complex shared XML files that import the shared entities..  I'm thinking
this really might help cleanup the various Sandbox websites that often
become old/out of date because keeping their project documenation files up
to date is hard..

We could use the existing Maven commons/xdocs file to host the subproject
pages that are linked to..  so we would have /commons.xml, /download.xml, or
/xdocs/commons/index.xml, /xdocs/download/index.xml,
/xdocs/viewcvs/index.xml, /xdocs/community/index.xml that would link to all
the seperate pages.

And maybe at this point update the commons main site to be just Maven l&F?

Eric