I've been a little aggressive this morning in terms of cleaning up the maven xdoc and build files. Be warned I removed

/jakarta-commons/xdocs
/jakarta-commons/maven.xml
/jakarta-commons/project.xml
/jakarta-commons/incl_nav.xml
/jakarta-commons/navigation.xml
/jakarta-commons/project.properties

and the new copies have been located for about a week at

/jakarta-commons/commons-build/xdocs
/jakarta-commons/commons-build/maven.xml
/jakarta-commons/commons-build/project.xml
/jakarta-commons/commons-build/incl_nav.xml
/jakarta-commons/commons-build/navigation.xml
/jakarta-commons/commons-build/project.properties

I've adjusted the /jakarta-commons/<project>/xdoc/navigation.xml files that had the navigation included to point at this new location. I've adjusted the /jakarta-commons/<project>/project.xml that previously extended ../project.xml to extend ../commons-build/project.xml

please let me know if anyone encounters any difficulty.
-Mark