On 15 Feb 2004, at 14:33, Eric Pugh wrote:

<snip>

Something that might work well at least in the short term is to ditch all
the items under each menu item, and instead have the menu just link to a
page on the main http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/ site. That would
reduce it down to 8 hotlinks, and not require every subproject to have lots
of complex shared XML files that import the shared entities.. I'm thinking
this really might help cleanup the various Sandbox websites that often
become old/out of date because keeping their project documenation files up
to date is hard..

We could use the existing Maven commons/xdocs file to host the subproject
pages that are linked to.. so we would have /commons.xml, /download.xml, or
/xdocs/commons/index.xml, /xdocs/download/index.xml,
/xdocs/viewcvs/index.xml, /xdocs/community/index.xml that would link to all
the seperate pages.

i think that the major part of the work involved with making the menus collapsable would be the creation of the documents you suggest. once that's done, we could then use some jelly magic to use them as the navigation place holders that the collapsable menus need to work.

- robert